Wednesday, October 28, 2009
As if you didn't know what the last step was -- two coats of exterior latex paint. Luckily I was able to get 'er done before some bad weather rolled in. There is a bit of minor touch up required before I will fully move on from this set of windows. I need to scrape a bit of the glaze residue and occasional paint drip off the glass. With a razor blade this isn't too big a deal. As you might have noticed I like to tape off the glass while I'm painting. Which works great although I sometimes have a piece of latex ripped off when peeling it off. So a little touch up is in order.
It's been about two years since I originally mused about fixing these windows -- holy cow I hadn't realized it's been that long. In my defense, I took a year hiatus as I concentrated on being a parent. Then the backyard landscaping consumed my spare time for the next six months. It wasn't until sometime this summer that I refocused attention to my dining room windows. I'm so glad to say they're "done". I have other windows in progress so hopefully I'll be able to keep up the momentum. But first I need to get the guest room fired up again. Does it ever end?
Today I'm not going to worry about that though -- commence snoopy happy dance!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Sorry for the lack of posts -- I plan to complete the window restoration series this week. I just got back from some vacation time in chicago. It never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous amount of cool old architecture there. I mean seriously. I like to think el paso has the old heart of a small midwestern town. Modest, but we got some cool stuff here. Hopefully when I finish this house that will be one more notch towards the ongoing dream to revitalize the old core of this town.
Okay, back to work.
Friday, October 2, 2009
You guessed it -- time for a coat of primer. I choose to use a good exterior oil based primer, going with sherwin willams. You may remember a while back me listing a few good links for exterior painting. I remember way back being utterly confused with the whole oil/latex thing. This is what I finally settled on and have been pretty happy with the results.