Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Two Republics Life building

I first discovered the original owner of this house to be Joseph H. McBroom a few months ago and have since been wondering about who he and his family were and what their life was like 93 years ago. I know if I stroll a few blocks to the downtown library I'd surely uncover tons of info about Mr. McBroom (hopefully). That hasn't happened yet. That's on my to-do list. But I did find a few little tidbits in the 1927 city directory. One, the McBrooms were still living in this house in 1927 (13 years after it was built). Two, Mr. McBroom was an attorney (I already knew that) and his offices were in the Two Republics Life building downtown (Didn't know that).

After doing some websearches on this building, I found somebody that sells vintage postcards and lo and behold, I finally get to see where this man worked. It's a beautiful victorian era building. Unfortunately, it's no longer standing. In it's place is a forgettable 60's era hotel. Oh well. I ordered me a postcard and plan to proudly display it in the house. Hopefully the Two Republics Life building will live on in some small way here in the old McBroom house.. :)

4 comments:

Dulcie said...

That is a great looking building, and a fabulous way to honor your home's past!
They just don't make 'em like they used to, do they...

Omar said...

Yep, we have a few buildings downtown that look just like that so I was kind of bummed to figure out it had already met its maker.. :(

StuccoHouse said...

I love old postcards.

It's kind of funny to think that someday someone might be researching our time owning our houses, isn't it? Wondering what we did for a living, why on earth we did XYZ to the house, and (hopefully) thanking us for stripping all that damn wood trim :-)

Omar said...

Not sure anybody would be interested in my life 100 years from now, but I would like to be remembered as someone who advocated the preserving of our city's rich history. Assuming in 100 yrs there's some way to access the wealth of information on the hundreds (thousands?) of house blogs out there would be really something. :)