Tuesday, April 22, 2008

incremental landscaping, pt2

The first part of this series showed some of the minor improvements I had planned for the front yard. This time it's the back yard, which needs the most help by far. This huge pile of fine landscaping rock called screening is my arch nemesis. It's about 4ft tall by 10ft wide. I absolutely hate this stuff. In the overview pic above you can kind of see a rough outline I'm trying to carve out of the screening. This will be filled in with new sod and a new patio will be built along the rear wall.

And here's my pride & joy. It doesn't look like much right now, but someday this shumard oak will tower over my house and provide invaluable shade during the hot summer months. If you'll recall, the west texas sun can be brutal and the rear windows took a beating before I restored them. It's going to take more than a few years, but I think it will be so worth it. There's nothing classier than an oak tree -- this variety is said to be drought resistant and loves full sun. It's perfect!



2 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

Haha.....when your oak tree gets tall enough, we can commisterate about how many leaves we have to rake up (mine are 100 yrs old). Wait a sec, do oak trees lose their leaves in TX in the Fall?

You are making the right move with that rock...it will look so nice with sod & a patio.

Omar said...

Thanks, I think it's going to be similar to watching grass grow, but hopefully it won't be too long before it provides some kind of meaningful shade. It's supposed to be somewhat fast growing (for an oak). Apparently this variety of oak does lose it's leaves when the seasons change. The live oaks which are pretty common around here (although not native) usually keep their leaves year-round..