Friday, February 20, 2009

the big dig


It doesn't look like much, but this kinda work just plain sucks. Like most things that have to do with my landscaping projects I do things the hard way. What, me rent a bobcat to level out the backyard? Nah, that's what shovels are for. The strategy is simple. Wet it down and loosen the soil with a pickaxe and shovel away till your arms fall off. I've got to get this backyard level and prepped with fresh topsoil to prepare for a new irrigation system and a blanket of fresh sod. And I only have a week or so to do it. No pressure. The work is nowhere near as glamorous as my new patio either. I still have a small section to go, but I'm close enough I can taste victory. Strangely, I've grown to enjoy laying down pavers. -- I'm going to have to find a new hobby to take up my 15 min here and there.

Here's a sneak peak at something else in the works. I know I said I would put the retaining wall in stone, but I'm kind of digging this off the shelf stuff.. This was always the plan for my little side flower bed, but I mocked it up against the back wall to see if it looked cheesy or not. Thankfully I think it'll fit in nicely. Those massive piles of dirt will soon find their new home in these babies.


No comments: