Friday, April 3, 2009

revenge of the dining room windows

Wow has it really taken me this long to get back to work on these? I've had a few days off and figured my windows aren't going to fix themselves, so I got back to work. The windows are in worse shape than they initially appeared. Whoever painted these last decided to forgo the proper repair. The old paint was scraped down, but the wood was is in pretty beat up shape. There was no oil based primer put down either, which probably didn't help. Allright people -- if you're going to repaint your original windows don't forget to put some oil based primer down BEFORE putting on the latex paint. Rant over.

This was made more difficult than it had to be since now I have to scrape off as much of the latex that I can to get down to bare wood. The wood is pretty soft and punky in spots with some serious gouges and rot holes. I'm going to have to break out my de-rot stuff and fill with plenty of epoxy to take care of this thing.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post is perfect in timing about window repairs. I have a 1915 house whose windows need help desperately. They need scraping, repairing of the rotten portions, reglazing and repainted. I'll be purchasing the correct primer before I soak the wood with latex paint.

Omar said...

Hehe, glad to be of service -- good luck! :)