Thursday, July 23, 2009

window restoration pt3


Ok, now we're finally getting somewhere. The next step in my window restoration is to apply some wood hardener. In this case my tool of choice is LiquidWood by Abatron. This stuff isn't too hard to work with, just mix an equal amount of both the A and B parts and you're good to go. You have about 30 - 60 min to get the stuff brushed on so only mix what you need. You probably wouldn't want to waste anyway as it's pretty pricey. However it works like a dream so it's worth every penny. At least until I have to buy another batch and I'll moan over how freakin expensive the stuff is.. The consistency is kind of like syrup and dries to a glossy sheen. Try to put it on when it's a bit overcast or try to work when the wood is in shadow -- with the heat of the sun this stuff actually gets hot (which means it's starting to harden quicker). Don't be shy and get it in all those nooks and crannies.


1 comment:

Kelli said...

I'm starting to rehab my old windows and came across your posts here. I didn't know about that Abatron product. I'm going to look into it. Thanks for posting these step by step tips! This newbie totally appreciates the help!