Wednesday, September 15, 2010

happy tree = happy world

I love trees.

There I said it. One thing that really bugs me about this neighborhood is there are no trees here. Actually that could go for much of the city. Unless you live in the valleys, you are relegated to lots of brown and lots of sun. I understand that we live in the desert. That doesn't mean we have to make our surroundings bare and desolate. Trees just make me happy. I blame the time I lived in chicago for my expectation of lots of green leafy foliage. Countless neighborhoods are lined with massive 100+ year old trees. Makes me wish we could do the same here in old el paso. I know due to the climate we could never get trees to grow to monstrous proportions. But I know we can get them in the 40 - 50ft range (maybe 60ft). That's still a pretty big tree. Of course it'd take 50+ years to make that happen, but I think it's still something to strive for. The photo above shows my latest contribution.

You may remember a while back I longed for some trees along the parkway (street trees). True to form I change my mind several times before I get set on a final decision. First I had three small plum trees , two on one side and one on the other. Then I decided I was going to move the loner to the backyard, where my flower garden is now. My thinking is planting trees to block all angles of the front of your home is bad form, you should at least have one good angle with unfettered views. A few months later I decided I wanted to replace the two plum trees with a shade tree -- something that would some day fill in and give some nice shade. So I moved one tree to the back patio and the other clawed for life in the unfinished corner. Sadly, it didn't last long. Ok I neglected it. :(

What filled the larger side of the parkway was a nice little oak tree. A Shumard red oak, which happens to be native to texas. Although that would be native through central texas so quite a difference in climate. My experience is these are tough trees though and do well in the alkaline soil and high heat. They are fairly drought tolerant once established. The shumard oak I have in the backyard is really starting to grow vigorously, after three years of course. I think it just takes them a little while to get adapted and set up the roots. Ok where was I? The tree, that's right.. So I planted that tree last fall -- it was a 5 gallon I think. But I got it in my head that I should just pony up for as big a tree I could get my hands on & donate the old one. I was a little scared of the transplant for the old one but I'm going to keep a close eye on it and baby it for the next few weeks prior to planting at my neighbors.

Enter big boy. It's a 45 gallon tree and was a doozy transporting and planting. The good thing is it's in and I think it looks great. It gives me a 10 - 15 year jump on the old tree, so I'll be able to bask in its glory now. Now if I could just get people around here to embrace the idea of a green canopy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omar, great work. I just read your entire blog and I have to say you've done a great service to El Paso. Excellent work!
Thanks, Gilbert

Omar said...

Hi gilbert,
I'm not sure I've done anywhere near enough to be a great service to the city -- my interests with restoring an old house are a drop in the bucket as they say. But thanks for the praise. :)