Wednesday, May 4, 2011

nursery windows or die

I've been working on these two windows in my daughter's room for the past six months or so. It's been on and off with these and I'm anxious to just finish them already. I take pride in that the windows in this bedroom will have been fully restored. The exterior framing has been repaired, caulked, and painted. The sash has been scraped & sanded down and the glass reset. I think I broke a pane or two along the way which have since been replaced. The glass has been cleaned and laid in a fresh bed of silicone and fixed with glaziers points. But hey, wait a minute. Didn't I paint the house a few months ago -- including these windows? You would be correct.

Most of the work had already been done by yours truly only to have a mix up with the workers. Unfortunately for me the upper sashes were painted when I wasn't quite ready for it. Problem is I hadn't primed them with my oil based primer yet nor had I completely scraped down the one on the left. The fresh glazing would then be doomed to fail prematurely since the wood would suck up all the oil without the primer. As much as I procrastinated and kicked and screamed along the way, I took these down and pulled out the heatgun, scraped out the glazing, and sanded these down again. They're finally ready for a little wood filler and then I can finally get some primer on these things. It's been a long road but I think I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once the sashes are complete I have a little something extra planned for these windows I'll share in a future post. To be continued..

1 comment:

Karen Anne said...

That's a lot of work. No one every said old houses were easy to fix.