Thursday, May 22, 2008

old tub refinished


I wish I had some pictures of this tub after we demoed the bathroom, but you'll have to take my word that most probably would have just tossed it. It was a rusty mess. The guy who turned it into what you see now did an amazing job. We were anticipating having to replace it with a reproduction clawfoot tub, but it's always nice when you can keep as many of the original features of an old house that you can.

This beautiful old pedestal tub feels right at home against the subway & hex tile. It almost makes you forget what the old tile looked like. It was painful making that decision, but I think we weren't left with many options. All in all, I think this bathroom is going to make a huge impression -- makes me wish I could redo my bathroom. Sigh. :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth Jewell said...

Well now I'm inspired. We bought a (neat)1907 fixer-upper in San Fancisco in 05 and I stumbled on your blog when looking for solutions for our woodwork damage. It has every conceivable finish on it and I just want to make it look...pleasing. Not necessarily new. I'm going to try to subscribe to your blog. Mine is chrysalis4.blogspot.com if you ever want to jump over there. Thx liz

Anonymous said...

Well now I'm inspired. We bought a (neat)1907 fixer-upper in San Fancisco in 05 and I stumbled on your blog when looking for solutions for our woodwork damage. It has every conceivable finish on it and I just want to make it look...pleasing. Not necessarily new. I'm going to try to subscribe to your blog. Thx liz

Omar said...

Hi there, thanks for the kind words. To me, part of the allure of old homes is that they don't look new even if well maintained. I like the look & feel of something that's been lived in for a hundred years. There's something cozy about it I think. I was in san fran last year and remember becoming inspired after visiting the Haas-Lilenthal house. Amazing.