Friday, May 9, 2008

two republics life building pt2


Remember my reminiscing about the former office building good ol' Mr. McBroom had his lawyer's office at? I could have sworn that the Two Republics Life Building was long gone. Of course going by what I thought was the office address from an old city directory here, I was pretty sure I was right. Well thankfully I was wrong. Turns out the building is still standing and in decent shape, albeit in a somewhat altered form. The facade has been screwed around with, but the elaborate cornice is still intact as is some of the decorative stone detail on the bottom half of the building.

 I finally figured it out when I came across an old downtown photo that shows the building just like it was in the postcard, but a few blocks south (aside from the obvious "Two Republics Life" sign across the side). If it wasn't for the cornice, I don't think I would have noticed. I can just see it's screaming for someone to yank off the facade additions and expose what's left of the original brick. Why can't I have a ton of money and fix up entire buildings? Ah, I can dream..

No comments: