Sunday, January 9, 2011

old roof shingles

Something kind of interesting about this roof is it still had the original wood shakes. From what I've seen around here it's still pretty common to see this as the first layer on your roof as opposed to plywood decking. Can you say "deferred maintenance"? Anywho, all this got ripped off and replaced with fresh plywood. Before it was all gone I was able to snap a few pics though. Kind of cool, but was in pretty bad shape. The house had three layers of shingle on the roof -- I could feel it just breathing easier without all that weight. Hopefully the house is happy.


2 comments:

dulcie said...

Gotta love those shake roofs. Our old house had them as the first layer too. Enjoy your new roof!

Omar said...

Don't get me wrong, I think they look cool too. But I think it's all too easy to just cover up any previous roofing sins by laying a new layer of shingle over the existing. Eventually there's too much weight on the roof and it's all gotta come down. The house is looking pretty sweet if I do say so myself. Slowly but surely..