Saturday, July 7, 2007

window repair 2

Ok, so after a few hours work with the help of my bro-in-law we got the iron bars down and are ready to get to some refinishing. While we were at it we pulled down the kitchen window bars too.


So now the fun part happens. Stripping, sanding, repairing, priming, painting. Whew! I had actually bought some wood preservative (Wolman's woodlife classic) to help repair the wood after reading a This Old House article online. But after reading a few other blogs (stuccohouse, american foursquare renewal) I got the idea that some of the products from Abatron are ideal for this type of work. In particular, the LiquidWood and WoodEpox. Unfortunately I already ordered me a gallon of the other stuff. Oh well, the new stuff is in shipment as I write this, so it shouldn't be too much longer until I can get started again. I'm sure I'll find something to use the woodlife classic on..

4 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

Ya know, using the wood preservative before the Abatron stuff might work out well. I use a borate solution called BoraCare before I use LiquidWood & WoodEpox. It stops any decay that may exist in the dry rot before you apply the consolidator.

Omar said...

Hmm ok. I thought the LiquidWood was kind of like a preservative in that it stopped the rot too. Thought it might be overkill to use both, but I'll have to read the directions on that abatron stuff again. Here in El Paso it is pretty arid and dry so wood rot on account of excessive mositure isn't so much a problem. The sun however is a different story. If you look at the pics it is pretty beat up and dried out. I'll look into it, but thanks for the tip!

StuccoHouse said...

LiquidWood is a consolidator. It will harden up any punky wood. The thing about rot is that fungus can stay in the wood...and then continue to rot. Bugs (beetles, termites, ants) also like the stuff. So, a preservative is not a bad way to go....then the consolidator...then fix any wood with WoodEpox.

Omar said...

Yeah, after reading up on it, I think I'm going to put on the preservative before using the liquidwood/epox. For some reason I was thinking that the liquidwood did both: kill the rot and harden the wood. Thanks for your help!