Wednesday, September 19, 2007

El Paso St. carnage

There are some days that I feel like saying "what the hell am I doing here"? Today was one of those days.

There's a house in lower sunset heights (east) that I've had my eye on for several months. Reason was it recently sold at auction by the city. Foreclosure is my guess. Anyway the city was getting ready to condemn the building before it sold, so it appeared that the days of agony for this former house turned apartment building might soon be over.

Not so fast.

Seems the new owner doesn't care that he just purchased a property in a historic district and applied to the city to demolish it anyway. After several recommendations that the home was still salvagable structurally, it looks like they're tearing the damn thing down. So it seems the potential for this house has ended. Honestly, half the homes in this neighborhood don't look much better, so what's the use of being in a historic district if people come in here and just tear them down? Why don't we just tear down half the neighborhood and be done with it? It would be nice if people who want in on sunset heights had the foresight to preserve these beautiful homes. Granted this one looked like hell, but it still could have been saved. We'll never know now. What a shame.

The application to the city for demolition is here.

UPDATE: Hopefully I've rustled up some discussion about this topic.. People do care. My thoughts and opinions for this house were too late seeing as how it was already doomed. I hope we can get the media to reflect on what's happened and what we might be able to do to prevent this from happening again.

The carnage:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sad at first when I thought it was the house you had by your name...nice property. Then i looked at the "carnage" and thought maybe it was time.... I love the central part of town.

Grew up in Government Hills area (lived in Cielo Vista but my grandparents lived in the old part)but my parents had friendas and family throughout so I remember many of these "grand dames". We need a plan to redevelop this area and much of central EP.

The area is over 100 years old and it needs a plan. I would like to discuss this withyou at some point. It is worth saving our history and heritage.

Don't give up. we need you. My email is amarkb49@aol.com. Thanks.

Omar said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've sucked it up and moved on with my life. Granted that house looked like hell -- a former shell of itself. It was more the principle of not taking it lying down and getting on my soapbox to air out my frustrations. Letting whoever would hear me know about this injustice.

Honestly what scares me is the precendent set by this one action. How many more will follow if they fall into the wrong hands? In the post-"historic preservation officer" El Paso I was under the impression that a building in the historic districts were protected at all costs. Naive perhaps, but I did not think this could happen when the odds were seemingly for its preservation. Even one that looked like hell could still be saved. It would not be cheap, but would tearing it down and building something from scratch really be that much cheaper? I highly doubt it.

I'm an El Paso native too and fell in love with this neighborhood back when me & my wife were still in school. We lived in a beautiful 1920's duplex (actually owned by my bro-in-law/sister). I was hooked.

I could go on and on, but I'll shoot you an email if you want to discuss it further.. :)