Thursday, July 9, 2009

leaky basement

Anyone out there have a leaky basement? I do. But it wasn't always like that. Remember a few months ago when I was basking in the glory of my newly completed landscaping project? You may remember I mulched the area adjacent to the house which seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately I decided to create a little hill or berm (I think that's what they're called). The idea was to get rid of some excess dirt from my excavation and create a little focal point for that area of the yard. Come monsoon season what I got was the perfect storm.

The slope of the berm going towards the house combined with landscaping plastic underneath brought the water unabated into the basement window. My little brick barrier is completely inadequate for keeping any water out -- I'm going to have to put something in solid concrete in its place eventually. In my defense we did create a channel running along the foundation so as to pull any water away from the window. That didn't work too well though. Well maybe it did, but it's still not good enough. In the meantime I'm going to have to level out the berm. :(

Over the years water has slowly been messing up the interior finish on my basement wall. That's a future project. So what's the lesson here kids? Water should always drain away from your house, not towards it.


No comments: