Monday, August 3, 2009

window restoration pt4

Slowly it's starting to come together -- you want to let the wood hardener cure for a week or two before moving on to the next step. All those rot holes, gouges, and cracks can finally be filled in with some epoxy. I again call on the lords of restoration from Abatron, my tool of choice is WoodEpox. Again you mix an equal amount of the A and B parts and you're ready for action. You have about 30 - 60 minutes to get it on before it hardens, so work quick. The consistency is kind of like playdough but I find this stuff a little harder to work with than the LiquidWood. Maybe it's because I can't quite manage it with a scraper or I feel like I'm all thumbs when working with my hands (with gloves on). Once it's on, you'll want to let it cure for a week or two before sanding.


2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I only wait 24 hours on both the wood hardener and the woodepox and always have excellent results. Sure will speed up a project.

Omar said...

Thanks for the tip -- on the last set of windows I remember only waiting a day or two as well. Honestly I couldn't really tell the difference. In this case though I was interleaving several projects so the recommended wait time actually turned out the most convenient. Thanks for stopping by! :)