Wednesday, September 2, 2009

stripping paint

I'm pushing forward with the guest room restoration. As you might remember, there are multiple things to do in here, but step one will be restoring the window sashes and installing new casing. I have the lumber sitting off to the side, but need to get all the paint of these first. There's some nice pine under that paint, which luckily had only one coat of latex. At first I tried heatgunning it off but that was akin to killing a roach with a sledgehammer. Way too easy to singe the wood. I opted for the more gentle method of using a chemical stripper. I've used citristrip in the past and wasn't very happy with it -- very messy to use. I really like PeelAway and gave each of my windows a coat each. As you can see I still have some more to clean up. So my question is, is there an easier way to strip latex paint? I think one more application should do the trick, so I'll probably just do that. I also want to pull them down and fix the glazing before getting my guy to trim them out. I know I'm going to be tempted to scrape/sand/paint the trim on the exterior while I'm at it. I wish there was more time in the day..

3 comments:

Anna at traditional bathroom vanities said...

That does look like a lot of work. Good luck to you!

A. said...

Keep it up - you're our inspiration :)

Omar said...

Hehe thanks, it's going so slow trying to do three projects at once. I have a nasty habit of getting distracted that way. I should pick up the pace soon.. :)