Monday, February 8, 2010

demolition averted?

Interesting turn of events this past week. I attended a Historic Landmark Commission meeting to air out my opinions regarding Alamo Elementary. There were others there who had the same idea. Fortunately, the local media took an interest and covered the discussion of the school. The stars aligned for that one evening as the HLC voted to initiate a historic overlay zoning for the old school. It was a spirited discussion and I was pleasantly surprised by the commission's actions. Needless to say I was floored to hear what happened next -- the school district announced it would not demolish the school. Though after the initial elation, I couldn't help feeling a bit of unease. It will most likely take a few months for the HLC to get the designation in place. I'm hopeful the school district will keep its word in the meantime.

No comments: