Friday, December 31, 2010

sponge worthy

I've been saving some pieces of foam from old packages -- my idea to help stop the draftiness in my windows was to cut these to size and slip them in the groove between the sash meeting point and the parting bead. It's an impermanent solution as is, but it seems to work pretty well. I cut down the draftiness big time with just this little trick so I know I'm on the right track. If the Easy Stop doesn't work I'm thinking of doing a McGuyver and gluing these to the bead. I think they would be fairly durable. We'll see..


4 comments:

dulcie said...

Nice work! We're getting to know the drafty windows in our new house. Seems to be a less drafty house than the old one, which is a change for the better!

The title of your post made me literally LOL.

Omar said...

Hehe thanks, it's nice to be able to pull down the plastic over the window and not regret it in the middle of the night. Dare I say it actually feels warm in that room..

I was trying to think of a snappy title for this post and it just seemed like a perfect fit. :)

Old House Lover said...

As an FYI: Pieces cut from foam egg cartons work nicely to fill small thin gaps and places that are a bit too big for caulking alone can be pre-filled with foam packing peanuts.

Omar said...

Good tips, thanks :)