Thursday, February 24, 2011

paint disaster averted

It seems I've had workers scurrying around my house for the past two months. Well actually, we have. First the roofers had their way with the place. A week went by and then I had the next crew come in to do misc things both inside and out. The biggest changes were to the exterior. Most obvious would be the completion of my paint scheme. The colors were decided long ago and for the most part I had a very specific style in mind. The khaki green would be the dominant color, peppered with the very intense maroon red. On my windows you've noticed I go for a red sash bordered by the green trim.

I always knew I wanted the eaves to be two toned as well. The beams were going to be red and the soffit green. See porch eaves (don't mind the red band just below). So how come it didn't look quite right? As the workers were painting one side of the house I let it stew for a few days and tried to shake it off. No, of course it's right -- how else would it be? Luckily Sherwin Williams has a paint visualizer tool on their website that lets you upload photos to try out different paint schemes using their colors. I played around with that for an hour until it finally slapped me in the face. The crown molding that intersects the row of beams needs to be painted red too. See roof eaves. Otherwise they just look kind of floaty and jarring to the eye. Well to me at least. Figuring as how I was going to live with this paint scheme for the next 20 years or more, it's best to get this done right the first time. Cost me a little extra to go back and paint the crown, but it was worth it.. Sorry I don't have any after pics yet -- they're coming. My house has looked like hell until just today -- the workers finally finished the last of this round of projects.

No comments: