Sunday, March 27, 2011

landscape dreaming

Ah, a boy and a dream. This corner of my back yard has always been where I wanted to do something really special. Despite my yearnings for landscaping perfection, I had to settle for some basic cleaning up this past summer. I was just completing the latest round of house projects and I had neither the cash nor will to push forward with my vision for this corner.

Way back when we bought this place we'd imagined this would be a good corner for a two-car garage. I designed the yard with that in mind, if it were to ever materialize. But ever since we had permit parking put in on our street the need for parking was a non-issue. So what to do with this available chunk of real estate? A desert garden of course!

As much as I love grass and big old oak trees I can also appreciate the vast beauty of the Chihuahuan desert. To make the garden perfect it would have to be a well defined xeriscape. Lush, but not overdone. Somewhat tamed, yet wild. It should look natural. I had my landscaping master plan approved for the house way back in fall 2009. Much like my windows, I complete piece by piece in stages. Up until a few months ago it was just a dream. I'm knee deep in it and starting to see the light at the end of tunnel though. Updates coming soon..

No comments: