Wednesday, January 7, 2009

it's a good day

Some of you may remember a while back me going off on the city approving the demolition of a house that had seen better days. In my opinion, the city made good on that mistake the other day. The property owner was applying to build a "private residence" that was so out of character for the neighborhood it wasn't even funny. I wonder if they even tried? The curious can check out the thwarted plans here.

What follows is a statement I had put together to read at the meeting, but was unable to make it out to read in person. Thankfully my opinion didn't need to be heard, but I figure what the heck -- I didn't write it for nothing. Enjoy.

Good day members of the historic landmark commission.

It has come to my attention that a request has been made to build on the lot at 1312 El Paso st. I respectfully ask the commission to consider the architectural integrity of the sunset heights historic district and how the design proposed diminishes that integrity. There once was a time when a home of architectural distinction took up residence at that location and over time was neglected and its integrity diminished by insensitive modifications. Despite the potential for a worthy restoration, the HLC voted to tear it down. I did not agree with this decision then nor do I agree with it now. However, I am not here to criticize past decisions. I speak before you today to carefully consider the decision before you today.

Many an architectural style can be found in this wonderful neighborhood. The likes of this city’s most esteemed architect Henry Trost once called this neighborhood home. And so I take it as a bit of an insult that the design brought forward today is completely devoid of any architectural merit in this historic setting. With respect to the architect and design, I do not consider it appropriate to build the typical Mediterranean style home commonly found in the newer developments on the outer fringes of the city. Such a style is completely inappropriate for this neighborhood. One question I have is what is the purpose of the setbacks on this home? Is this truly designed as residential and not commercial? Meaning the setbacks are to make way for a parking lot? I don’t necessarily have an objection to it’s use in a commercial capacity. There are several converted homes nearby that are in use as doctor’s & lawyer's offices. And yet they did not tear down the original structure to build something that can be shoehorned in. They use an adjacent lot or have access through the alley to the rear of the building.

What I would prefer is a design in any of the prevailing styles found in the neighborhood: Victorian, craftsman, Spanish revival, etc. The setbacks should also be inline with the other homes nearby and parking should be limited to the street or accessible from the rear. If this truly is to be a residential home then that should not be an unreasonable request. If not, then perhaps the owner should have looked elsewhere for a double lot or understood the possibility that they wouldn’t be able to build whatever they wanted. Glass box this is not, but that design does not belong in this neighborhood.

I think a lesson can be learned by the commission’s actions taken over a year ago. I ask that new standards be put into place that demolition be a last resort. Most definitely demolition shouldn’t be approved without plans for what will take its place. When a building is structurally sound, there should be no reason to tear it down. There are many dilapidated homes in this neighborhood -- I would prefer to think their days aren’t numbered if someone who isn’t sympathetic to their historic value takes ownership. We should be striving to make the neighborhood better not worse. If you approve these plans today that is exactly what you will be doing.


Thank you for attention.

No comments: