Sunday, August 19, 2007

no more jailhouse blues

It was a busy weekend here at El Paso foursquare. The iron bars that have bugged me for so long are history! It took 5 men, 2 pizzas and a case of beer but she's one step closer to glory. I forgot to get some pics during the day, but we were so busy I kind of forgot. My front lawn was covered with iron bars which promptly found their way onto a trailer and out of our lives for good. My wife and I are amazed at the difference inside and out. It seems so much brighter inside it'll take a little getting used to, but I'm very happy. You'll notice just how beat up the rear windows are compared to the front. The years haven't been kind. I'm still debating whether I'll do the top floor windows myself, but I'm planning on having the whole shebang done by next summer. That should still give me plenty of time to get the bottom floor done before winter sets in. For El Paso, that's usually november/december. That's the plan anyway. Astute readers will see Bogie my dachshund basking in the shade in the after pics. :)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

6 comments:

Dulcie said...

Ahhhhh... your house is much more approachable! :)

Omar said...

Yep, the bars are a product of their times. Those 30 yrs or so that the neighborhood went down saw lots of crime and vandalism. Thankfully, nowadays it's very quiet and safe. I think alot of people still have them up because it's been like that for so long, but I don't think they're really necessary anymore. You see more and more homes without them, so I defintely want to help continue the trend. Plus it looks purty! :)

StuccoHouse said...

Looks very nice. I bet more people see your's come down and the trend continues. I have a theory that those bars cause things to go bad....instead of doing anything good. Your back windows look to be in about the same condition as my front ones.

Omar said...

Thanks! It was a pain, but soo worth it. I'm a little scared of heights, but getting on a rickety ladder to feel a 200 pound hunk of cast iron coming down on you can be kind of freaky. But it's done. I need to hurry up and get back to work on them windows..

grace said...

I took the bars off my back porch too, but I have yet to renovate the windows. The structure is pretty sad actually. But light is nice. I'm on Prospect St. I cant figure out what street your house is on?? - grace

Omar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.