Wednesday, August 8, 2007

random thoughts

It's been a little quiet here at El Paso Foursquare lately, but I am still trying to get things done. I'm still working on the dining room windows, slowly but surely. I'm passed the scraping and sanding phase and have moved on to the actual repair phase. The de-rot stuff has been applied and the liquid wood is doing its thing. The windows definitely feel a heck of a lot stronger with this stuff on. I'm not sure how the damn things didn't manage to just fall apart, being so fragile and all. Sorry I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll squeeze some out when I get the wood epox prepped and sanded. So it looks like the end is in sight for these windows, I'm pretty excited.

On a side note, I was walking through my neighborhood and seeing some of the wonderful homes we have in sunset heights and thinking I really need to get some pictures up. I'll put that on my to-do list. But it also got me to thinking.. Our house was in pretty good shape when we bought it, being a recent house flip. So while it was definitely livable and there are a few things here and there that definitely need attention (like my exterior windows), most of the grunt work has already been done. From here on out, it's going to be mostly cosmetic. Of course when we eventually get to gutting the kitchen and bath it'll be some major work, but it won't be absolutely necessary. I see other house blogs that are pretty extreme with what they have to work with. And so sometimes I feel a little like I took the easy way out.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my house. But I see some homes in the neighborhood that are in serious disrepair and wonder why nobody does anything to breathe new life into them. I wish I could be that hardcore and take a complete craphole and transform it to be the beautiful treasure it could be. We have a few of these around this neighborhood. Maybe someday I'll be ready to pass the torch on this house and move on to another that desperately needs some love.

3 comments:

Dulcie said...

I'm pretty impressed by the work that so many housebloggers are capable of doing. Honestly, I couldn't handle an extreme fixer-upper. And even if it was largely DIY, it still helps to have some deep pockets. Maybe once you are "finished" (is that possible?) with this house, you'll be ready for a bigger challenge!

Omar said...

Yep, my wife sometimes tells me to relax and take my time with the house. I can just imagine what she'd think about the time I'd need to spend on an extreme fixer-upper.. Still, I'd like to "go for the glory" someday if I can.. :)

TheWhy33 said...

I feel the same way. As a Real Estate Agent, I see so many homes, especially around Central, that I know could look so breathtakingly beautiful if someone restored them. Frankly, if I had the resources, that would be my hobby. I also can't help but wonder...what would those houses say, if they could talk? Imagine how many things those walls have seen! How many eras have passed, how things have changed! I love imagining stuff like that...