Wednesday, August 29, 2007

the window treatment

Not much to post about, but what the heck. Two days ago I had the window people out here to reglaze my rear windows. While they were at it I figured I'd replace the last two cracked windows in the house. When we first moved in there were several windows that were broken, but we kind of ignored the other two since they weren't going to be a big deal during the winter.. The only thing that pained me about replacing the glass is they still had original wavy glass. Unfortunately, it had to be done. Oh well. Since we were just replacing the glass I figure it's not too blasphemous to use regular old glass. Most people don't notice details like that (usually). I'll notice.

So we're one step closer to getting these rear windows repainted. All that needs to be done is get some epoxy to fill in the holes where the iron bars were drilled in on my kitchen window. Some quick sanding and I'm ready for primer. I am sooo ready to get this done.

2 comments:

Dulcie said...

We have some original broken windows too -- there aren't gaping holes, just cracks (which might be held together with tape now that I'm thinking about it!) It is pretty low on our list right now and I HATE the idea of removing anything original from our house. :( Aside from windows, woodwork and floors, we don't have too much original that is left.

Omar said...

Yeah I think that was part of the reason why I was putting it off for so long. If they had just been superficial cracks I may have just overlooked it, but the glass was actually cracked all the way through. Meaning the sash bordering the glass was the only thing keeping the pieces from falling out. I'm sure with a big enough wind gust they could have been blown out which is why we decided to just get it over with and replace them. I've seen ads in some of the old house mags that have reproduction wavy glass which would be nice. But cost and covenience eventually won out.